Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Is it seriously June already? Usually by this time I am up to my elbows in veggies from the garden, but this year Texas was off her medication and sent us tons of rain along with hail. It has been great for catching up from previous years of drought but it hasn't been so great on the garden. The hail of course played havoc on the plants, I lost alot of cucumber plants, swiss chard from last year didnt make it thru the hail either. In 2 weeks we had close to 20 inches of rain, with all that water it rotted the onions and brought the gophers to the garden and they loved all the potatoes! But now that the rain has stopped I am starting to spy cucumbers, baby okra and jalapenos! It wont be long now before i will be elbow deep in veggies!

This month is chicken pick up! If you have never heard of Zaycon foods now is a great a time as any to check them out! I purchased the boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.69 a pound. Now you do have to purchase in 40 pound boxes and I know that isnt for everyone. But with the bird flu in the U.S and the very large amount of birds that have been killed, now is the time to stock up! 

Next Week Vet girl and Master chef are going to College Station, Tx for state 4-H competition. Three days of competitions and other fun 4-H stuff to do. Both kids will be competing in the food challenge, this is actually the first food challenge team that our county has had! They even made the front page of the Local paper! 
Here is the article if you want to check it out! Food Challenge!

Yesterday was rabbit processing day. I had 4 that needed to go to freezer camp. Since my hands do not work like they used to is takes me longer to process out and I cant do as many per day. It is always worth it though as I know what my family is eating and I also know how it was raised. 

I was at Freds store and noticed some expired items. I decided to ask if they would mark them down for purchase and they gladly did it! I use alot of pickle crisp when I can and that stuff is $5 a jar! Well after purchasing the mark down pickle crisp for .25¢ a jar I wont be needing any for awhile. It never hurts to ask if they would mark something down, you never know what they will say!

No comments:

Post a Comment